Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The language of the Spirit

My dearest family and loved ones-

I have been away from home for officially 3 months now! The amount I have learned in these 3 months is so immense I can hardly believe it. I feel like I say this every email but it couldn't be more true. I couldn't be more grateful for the opportunity I have to be here. It is the greatest blessing I have received in my life thus far. I just completed my first week in Granada with Hermana A and wow... what a difference. My last companion and my new one are polar opposites. Hermana A has been out for 10 months, doesn't speak the language very well, and doesn't talk above a whisper. I can hardly hear her standing right beside her, so I say the words que dice and como at least 100 times a day. The people here can’t hear or understand her either, but this has only strengthened my testimony of the convincing power of the Holy Ghost. The language of the spirit speaks stronger to our investigators than any Spanish words we could ever say. The Spirit works directly through us and makes up the difference for our lack of communication skills. While tracting in the street, almost every family accepts our invitation to hear more about our message and I know its 100% the spirit convincing them to let us in. Without the power of the Holy Ghost, we wouldn't be able to teach a single person. Being an instrument in the Lords hands is such an honor, and I couldn't feel more humbled Heavenly Father picked me to use :) My last companion would scare people into teaching them and treat them as numbers, so I couldn't feel more at peace and happy with the new companionship I have been blessed with. I can fully be myself around Hermana A, and I love her and the people in my new area with all of my heart.  I am helping her learn how to use her voice to speak louder (she's struggled with it her entire life) and her lack of Spanish is forcing me to learn more. We couldn't be a more perfect match.

Unlike my last area, Granada is dangerous. A man was following us home last night, and I couldn't have been more terrified. We took twists and turns through the dark streets and finally lost him, but I know we have special sister missionary protection. Heavenly Father reassured me in my setting apart blessing, not a hair on my head will be harmed while serving him. I believe.

It has rained HARD every single day this week. Our poor little house floods so we spend a lot a time sweeping and mopping out all of the water. Because of this, and trudging through the mud day in and day out, I have developed a foot fungus. Its super painful and sooo gross but we've been putting medicine on it so hopefully it will clear up with time.

I love this gospel more than anything on this green earth. The love I have for my Savior Jesus Christ is a love that defies all description, and I couldn't be more grateful for his atoning sacrifice so I can live with my Heavenly Father again. When I stand at the judgment bar of God, I will be able to say I did everything I possibly could to help build up Zion because I dedicate my entire life to serving him. I am so grateful I was born and raised in the Church and able to serve a mission so I can have the training I need to be the mother of soldiers who with the priesthood, will fight in the army of God to defeat Satan.

Until next time,

Hermana Nielson :)

1 comment:

  1. We have enjoyed each and every post and look forward to them every week. Thank you for putting them up to keep us all informed. Sarah is full of the spirit and has a great attitude about serving the Lord in Nicaragua. We are so proud of her and are continually petitioning the Lord to bless and watch over her. I know He will.

    ReplyDelete