Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Gallopinto

Dear Ones,

The sweet people here are so poor they go some nights without dinner. They barely have enough to take care of themselves, but they show us their gratitude and love for us by feeding us. My stomach drops as they come out of the kitchen section of the room with the biggest mountain of rice I have EVER seen, just for me. They set our plates in front of us beaming with pride, and quietly sit there watching us eat. If you don't eat every grain of rice its offensive, so I literally stuff myself. While looking at the MOUNTAIN of gallopinto (which would normally take me a week to finish) I say the most sincere prayer my heart can pray and I finish, every time. My companion and I look at each other in desperation about half way through when we start lacking faith, and she always reminds me, you’re eating love Hermana Nielson. You’re eating love! We stuff spoonfuls of carbs into our poor little bodies. I’ve learned to open my throat and drink it down like a true Nicaraguan. When we returned home one night after two dinner citas (appointments) IN A ROW, we were laying in our chairs struggling to hold it all down when Hermana A. said, “They love us so much... it HURTS”... hahaha!

Not much to report this week other than I'm getting fat. I'm afraid I'm going to come home with diabetes! ALL of our investigators either need to get a divorce from someone else and get married to the person they're currently living with, or need to quit smoking-drinking or using illegal substances to get baptized. Because of all this we're struggling with baptisms at the moment, but I know that through faith in Jesus Christ and his Atonement, this Gospel can change lives.

I’ve been reading the general conference talks published in the Liahona and I can’t even tell you how much I love and am grateful for our prophet and his apostles. They are men truly called of God. Reading their words this week has been such a blessing. Their words are so true and so inspired I feel that we should treat them as latter-day scripture. In fact, that's exactly what they are! If you haven't already, I recommend reading them. Every single talk is truly wonderful.

This church is so true its ridiculous. I hope you all have a wonderful week!

Con mucho cariño,
Hermana Sarah Nielson

 photo DSC681.jpg

 photo 126343838_o.jpg
With Elder Harmon who she went to high school with. Small world. His Compañero is shorter than Sarah!
  photo DSC693.jpg

 photo DSC497.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to these posts every week. Hermana Nielson (hermanita Sonrisa) is a jewel among all that poverty. She will find the jewels among all those people as well.

    ReplyDelete