Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Attack of the Nicaraguan animals

Hey guys!

I miss you all so much. I have been praying for you each individually every time I pray. I hope you're week was AWESOME :)

This week was basically attack of the Nicaraguan animals over here. Iguanas ate out electric wires so we didn't have electricity for 3 whole days. We were so hot without our fans we thought we were going to die of heat stroke. Bats have now made our ceiling their new home and keep us up all night with their little bat noises. During dinner the other night, Hna Shaffer almost got attacked by a HUGE rat (more like a rodent of unusual size because it was enormous)! And then the next night Hna Shaffer killed a tarantula in our hallway with a shovel. I was all trying to save it with a cup and a piece of paper... Ha! Nicaraguan anything- bat, snake, tarantula, is so.  Nasty.  All this madness was due to fumigation week. The government comes and fumigates all the houses in Managua to protect us from the little creatures lurking around. I say it does the opposite!

I have eaten rice and beans, beans and rice mixed together gio pinto and fried cheese every day my entire Nicaraguan life. The Zone all went to McDonald's and all got soooo sick.Our diets are so simple now that our tummies couldn't handle the change. So I have found I am VERY happy with my rice and beans. I can't live without them now!

They don't have ovens here, only stoves, so I haven't had a baked good in 200 years. I am super excited to eat a brownie or a cookie again someday.

They don't have washing machines here in Nicaragua either. Everyone (including us) washes their clothes by hand. We were telling one of our investigators that there are things called washing machines that clean your clothes for you and they thought it was the strangest thing they have ever heard. They said we shouldn't trust things like that, ha ha. I think I have come to like hand washing more actually because 1. I'm getting strong from it (strong for me anyways) and 2. You can make sure your clothes get super clean because YOU are the one who cleans them :) So yes, hand washing and rice and beans are my favorite things.

My Spanish is pretty good now so I have been having to do a lot. I've had to teach at district meetings and zone conferences and lead my area in divisions and things, so the time has been FLYING by. It feels like I just got here. In a little over 2 months I'm going to be half way done. THAT just about gives me a heart attack... Ah, you blink and before you know it, its over. So I will see you all again ridiculously soon!

Until then, here's a beautiful quote from Spencer W Kimball that is perfect for those unexpected challenges and struggles.

¨No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education... builds our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called children of God.¨

The church is so true its ridiculous :´)

Have a WONDERFUL week. I love you all!

Love, Hermana Nielson

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful growth Sarah is experiencing in so many ways. I really love these posts. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete